School Logo

Killamarsh Infant and

Nursery School

Brighter Beginnings

Google Search
Google Translate

Special Educational Needs

Special Educational Needs


Inclusion is at the heart of everything that we do at Killamarsh Infant and Nursery School and we continue to strive to build on and develop the practice we have in place.


At Killamarsh Infant and Nursery School, we firmly believe that all children should be supported to achieve their best so that they may flourish: academically, socially, physically and emotionally.


We fully support our children with identified Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) in line with the SEND Code of Practice and the Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Regulations 2014


The school is fully committed to working in partnership with parents in making sure individual needs of children are met.


What should I do if I think my child has Special Educational or additional needs?


You should visit the teacher responsible for children with any additional needs. Miss Tracey Holmes (SENCO)  has lots of experience and is responsible for ensuring that all children, irrespective of needs, are provided for at their level. The SENCO can ensure that, if necessary your child has some personalised teaching and learning.


Special Educational Needs Policy

SEN Information Report

If your child has been identified as having Special Educational Needs you will have lots of questions about how the school will support them in school. 


Our ‘SEN Information Report’ is designed to help parents and carers find out how we cater for children with a ‘Special Educational Need’ (SEN).


We regard a child with a ‘Special Educational Need’ as a child who requires support which is ‘additional to, and different from,’ their peers, in order to make appropriate progress with their learning. The report, attached below, answers a number of questions that parents may have regarding Special Needs and we hope you will find the information you need in the report but please contact the SENCO if you have any questions.

Resources for Parents

Local Authority (LA) maintained schools have a requirement to meet the needs of all pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disability or additional needs. Regardless of their need/s, the focus remains that these children will make the best possible progress in school and be included in school life as fully as possible.


The Derbyshire Local Offer

Visit the website for more information.


The website allows you to see what services and support is on offer for children and young people with SEN and/or disabilities (SEND).

Special Educational Needs (SEN) Complaints Procedure


If you want to complain about our school’s SEN support, you should do so whilst your child is still registered at the school. This includes complaints that the school has not provided the support required by your child’s SEN statement or education, health and care (EHC) plan. We will do our very best to rectify the problem, in partnership with you and your child. 


How to make a complaint


If you remain unsatisfied with the actions that have taken place to support your child. Follow these steps in order and move on to the next step if your complaint is not resolved.


1. Talk to the school’s Special Educational Needs co-ordinator (SENCO).

2. Follow the school’s complaints procedure.

3. Complain directly to Derbyshire County Council.


There’s a different process if you disagree with a decision your local authority has made about an SEN statement or an EHC plan. This complaint will be handled directly by Derbyshire County Council. 

Do you want to contact our SENCO?

Miss Tracey Holmes is our Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) Please use the contact form below if you would like to make direct contact.

Derbyshire Information, Advice and Support Service for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities


Derbyshire Information, Advice and Support Service for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities - DIASS (formerly Parent Partnership) provide free, impartial and confidential information to parents and children and young people on issues around education, health and social care, relating to special educational provision.  For those who would find further information useful visit their website. 

Derbyshire Local Offer


The SEND Local Offer is a resource which is designed to support children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities and their families. It gives information and contact details for the services and provision that are available to families in Derbyshire. The SEND Local Offer includes information about public services across education, health and social care, as well as those provided by the private, voluntary and community sectors.